History of the Clubhouse
Prior to being a golf course, the land on which Fulwell stands was a farm for some two hundred years. The 17th Century farm house forms part of the modern day clubhouse. - “Slade Lodge” currently being used as the Course Manager's residence. Prior to 1994 the Lodge had been the Ladies Clubhouse since 1906. Alternatively, for the first two years of the Club’s existence, “Rosendale”, a private residence in Wellington Road, was used as the Club’s meeting house, until in 1907 a dedicated Clubhouse, designed by member architect J. P. Briggs was attached to Slade Lodge. This was timber framed and brick built with a corrugated iron roof. Unfortunately no internal shots of this building have been found to date.
In 1926 a substantial fire destroyed this initial building and it was replaced with a more luxurious clubhouse which for the most part remains in place today.
The Clubhouse from the 4th (now the 18th) hole
In 1993, however, extensive renovations were made to the dining room and bars, new changing rooms including one for the ladies and secretary’s office were added. The distinctive clock tower was installed for the Club’s Centenary in 2004.
The Clubhouse in 2004 (the Club's Centenary Year)
Early Clubhouse and resident pet!
Slade Lodge Farmhouse
The remains of the Clubhouse after the 1926 fire