The course was designed by J.H. Taylor and further course alterations were carried out in 1921 using designs from Harry Colt and Alister Mackenzie two of the leading course designers of the era. The original layout contained two courses.
During the Second World War, the second course was closed and used for agricultural purposes and did not open for play after the war ended.
In 1945 discussions began on building and re-designing a new course. The course architect was J.S.F. Morrison of Colt, Alison, and Morrison. Seven existing holes were used, and eleven new holes created. The course that we now know was opened for play on 30 August 1958.